Monday, June 21, 2010

Ugh

My 2 older kids go to public elementary school in NYC. It was just decided tonight that as of September, students will be wearing uniforms to school (style and color TBD). I am not happy - I am not a fan of uniforms, particularly in public school, particularly in GRADE school. But here in NYC, all schools have the right to adopt such a policy.

My son, who is going into 6th grade (and will graduate in a year) is excited about it. My daughter, entering 2nd grade, is not. I don't know how much of that opinion is truly hers, and how much of it was influenced by my rants and complaints in the weeks leading up to this decision. I let both kids know that if they choose to opt out, I will stand behind them. But I also said that if they want to feel like part of the "team" (the principal claims this will foster unity and school spirit) then they should go ahead and enjoy it. I am trying to be objective, particularly since my husband is the PTA Co-President... but ugh. Ugh ugh ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment