Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Bad Mom, June 2010 (with prior offenses)

Out in the little park, my kids playing contentedly... until one (or all) decide they are thirsty or hungry. Sometimes this happens on its own, sometimes it is when another mom pulls out the snacks and drinks. It happens even if they've just eaten in the apartment. It always leaves me feeling like a terrible mom for not carrying appropriate stocks of water, juice boxes, granola bars, or other munchies. (I first noticed this a lot when I was on maternity leave 3 years ago in the heat of the summer, but I guess I still haven't learned to be prepared.) Sometimes the other moms will share, but that only makes me feel worse.

The other day when my daughter started up, I told her that when I was a kid, my mom would routinely send us OUT to play. For hours. Without snacks. If we wanted a drink we would find a garden hose. I realize times have changed and I would not allow my 7 & 10 year olds (much less a 3 year old) to roam the neighborhood all day, but still. Am I really supposed to carry snacks with me everywhere I go?

No comments:

Post a Comment