Friday, July 17, 2009

No Rain

My youngest turned two last Saturday. Because we were out of town for an annual get-together on that day, we are having his party tomorrow.

I just realized that tomorrow is also two years to the day since his bris... It was pouring like I had never seen. We were leaving our apartment when my mother in law called telling me they might not make it because of weather. I got angry - "It's just a little rain!"... but even I couldn't imagine what was in for us on the road.

It took us 45 minutes to make what should have been a 10 minute drive... friends and family were stuck on the road for hours... and Husband and I were fighting and screaming at each other as we had been for months - for no reasons I can discern other than stress and fear - with the big kids (then 7 1/2 and 4 1/2) cowering in the back of the van.

The mohel called as we were arriving at the bakery to pick up the cake... at this point, we should have been at the temple half an hour already. He said, "Forget the cake, forget the guests... all we need is the baby," but I was distraught, crying. How could we do it alone? He was kind enough to change his schedule - he would leave for another appointment and come back to the temple later - AFTER the food - to do the ceremony. I sighed with relief...

When we arrived, a few guests were already waiting... others arrived in dribs and drabs... we did not want to serve the food until my father in law arrived to cut the challah... we were starving and stressed and the kids were wild... only the sweet baby slept and slept.

And finally we were all together and it was done, and when we left the temple, the sun was out and it was hot like any other July day.

The party tomorrow is in the park. Let's hope it doesn't rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment